Monday 17 February 2014

Music Monday - Kelly Oliver

 

Kelly Oliver

 
 
Kelly Oliver is fresh onto the folk scene, having only started performing her original material in May 2013. She was encouraged by Keiron and Maureen Jones at Hitchin Folk Club, who after inviting her to support Chris and Kellie While and then Miranda Sykes, gave her the opportunity to open for Luke Jackson at Cambridge Folk Festival this year in the club tent under the auspices of their club.
From her base in Hertfordshire, Kelly taught herself the Harmonica to add depth to her guitar led songs and has attracted sponsorship from Hohner who will be the sole supplier of her harmonicas from March 2014.

Kelly won a competition to perform at Folkstock, which meant that she opened the Folkstock Presents stage at the festival which was organised by Helen Meissner's Folkstock Arts Foundation and has since gone on to feature on both BBC London and Three Counties Radio.

She has released her debut EP on Bandcamp and will be releasing internationally via Itunes and Amazon etc.. on February 14th 2014.



Ten questions with Kelly Oliver

1 - As a newcomer to the folk scene, have you been surprised at how quickly your career has gained momentum?
Yes, very. As I'm so new to the folk scene, there were times in the past when I didn't realise the significance of an opportunity that came my way. Now I'm much more aware, and I feel very lucky. It is all continuing quite fast as well, so I'm often not able to dwell on a significant event, before another one comes along. I'm really delighted by that though!
2 - You opened for an act at the prestigious Cambridge folk festival, how was it and did you find it daunting?
I played for about 15 minutes just before Luke Jackson came on, in the club tent for the Hitchin Folk Club. I'd only been playing live for about 2 months by then, so it was quite scary yes! But the audience were hugely encouraging, as were everyone backstage, and it was my first ever festival so I'll never forget it.
3 - Having taught yourself harmonica did you find it difficult or are you quite a quick natural learner when it comes to musical instruments?
I didn't find it difficult, but it took some practise to figure out some techniques and start playing fluently. I enjoy playing it and I want to get better at playing, so I practise more. I'm not as natural with other instruments though!
4 - How did the Hohner harmonica sponsorship come about?
My manager, Helen Meissner, who already had a relationship with their sole UK importers Sutherland Trading in Caerphilly, South Wales, from another band she had managed, pitched it to them that I was an unusual and fresh musician in the the folk scene and she pointed out that the other harmonica players that they sponsor were predominantly male. They agreed, after she sent them some of my music and it seemed they quickly folllowed through and sent me some harmonicas. Then they asked for information about my music to put on the German Hohner international website. It was quite surreal really!
5 - What has been the scariest or most difficult part of your musical career so far?
I'm not sure actually! I've been incredibly lucky so far. Going on stage is always scary, I don't think that will ever change for me!
6 - You’ve had some lovely reviews so far, has this given you added incentive to keep going, and faith that you can really make an impact with your music?
Yes, the reaction I've had has been amazing! I never expected it. It definitely boosts your confidence, to hear that someone likes your music, and for people to take the time to write reviews and say such nice things is so lovely.
7 - There has been a sort of new folk movement where bands have pushed it more into the mainstream in recent times, do you think this has helped more up and coming folk musicians to get their music out there?
I'm sure it has, again it just gives you the confidence when you think there is someone out there that will enjoy the music you're producing. The UK folk scene is small in comparison, and as my main influence is traditional folk music, that is the scene that I'm working to progress in.
8 - Which artist/artists have inspired you the most?
Dolly Parton! I love her music and love even more the fact that she started with nothing, no money, no headstart, but she is successful because she's just extremely talented and has written songs that have stood the test of time.
9 - Is there one song you wish you had written/ recorded yourself, and why?
Ahh, loads of songs! I recently heard a traditional track that Jim Moray arranged, called Lord Douglas, which won Best Traditional Track at the Folk Awards. It's absolutely gorgeous, I wish I could sneakily steal it off of him.
10 - With your Debut EP released on February 14th, what is next for Kelly Oliver?
 I hope to continue playing gigs in UK and I'd like to increase my venues and hopefully begin to appeal to a wider folk audience. Festival season is coming up, so I'd love to play a few more of those this year!



With a sound that belies her years, expect big things from this young lady! Also we can expect a lot more to come from Folkstock records and what better way to start than with Kelly Oliver! A huge thank you to Kelly for giving up time in her busy schedule to appear on Music Monday and I wish her the best of luck with all her plans!

 


Endorsements for Kelly Oliver

 

Surprisingly, "Far From Home" is both Kelly Oliver and Folkstock Records' debut release, though from the moment your hear the first chord, you know better bigger things await both of them as this very accomplished release shows.
The clear and crisp production ensures that the delivery is about as pure as you'd want it to be without it being sterile, i.e. you can hear the personality of the artist bursting forth in the song and you can't ask any more of an artist than that.
Folk is getting well into the third revival and showing that it's a music for the twenty first century and it's artists like Kelly Oliver that will help drive it forward, hopefully to wider and wider audiences.
Neil King, FATEA Magazine
“I fully expect Kelly to be receiving nominations and picking up gongs for Best Newcomer, if not Best Vocalist and Best Song/EP outright, when the awards season returns at the end of the year.
In Kelly Oliver the British folk music scene is witnessing the emergence of a bright new star. What a coup it is for the new independent label Folkstock Records to have her debut EP as its first release.“
Noel  Cowley Reviews
 “With themes ranging from acutely observational to intensely personal and a voice that is rich and natural, silvered and sensuous, her debut EP ‘Far From Home’ will seduce your ears”.
Tim Carroll, FolkWords.





Links for Kelly Oliver


No comments:

Post a Comment